- The Reverend Martin Luther King Jr.
At Birth Summit IV a multi-stakeholder group of delegates co-created an implementation strategy for emerging evidence, tools, and models of care that can eliminate inequities, improve access, and enhance quality of care across all communities.
Learn more about the outcomes of the Summit.
Birth Summit IV
Birth Summit IV, convened 150 leaders from 12 stakeholder perspectives: consumers, community health, service providers, consumer advocates, innovative models of care, health systems, health policy and law, research, payment reform, health professional educators, health administration, and quality and safety.
Together, delegates co-created an implementation strategy to ensure that evidence-based resources, and best practice models, become standard of care across the United States. Overall, our aim is risk reduction and improved access to high-quality care across all communities.
Summit Goals and Action Planning Areas
Implementation of a reproductive justice framework, best practices, and accountability tools throughout the health care system:
- Decolonize pregnancy and childbirth research;
- Workforce development across communities and professions to better reflect and serve the diverse population needs;
- Expand access to physiologic labor and birth;
- Catalyze a cultural shift in institutions towards addressing institutional racism, and expanding trauma informed care;
- Embed a health equity curricula, and cultural humility into interprofessional education and practice;
Increase access, support, and awareness of indigenous models for high quality, respectful care;
- Upscale and facilitate networking of innovative models for service delivery across communities;
- Apply a human rights law lens to care delivery by elevating informed choice and autonomy, and decriminalize pregnant and childbearing people.
Want to receive updates on the outcome of the Birth Summit IV?
Yes, please let me know about the outcomes of the Birth Summit IV.
We respect your inbox! You will only receive messages about the Birth Summit IV on an as-needed basis.
A Note To Our Live Streaming Participants
Thank you for your interest in participating in the Birth Summit IV via live streaming.
To fully achieve the goals of the Summit, we made a number of changes onsite to the schedule, including moving the time of the panel discussions we intended to live stream.
As we recognized that ongoing flexibility was required and we would be unable to guarantee the time of the rescheduled panels for our online audience, we made the decision to record - rather than live stream - those discussions. Thanks to GOLD, that same content will be made available via recording in their entirety as soon as possible.
We are deeply grateful to GOLD and the Summit's remote audience for their understanding and willingness to support the flexibility that was needed to create sufficient space for the important conversations around safety, equity, and respect in birth.
If you would like to be notified when the recordings and other Summit outcomes become available, please click here.